Min Quattro projekt.

Har du stora planer på G? Vi vill se och vi vill prata om det!
4v6
GT-intresserad

Inlägg av 4v6 »

Well, the times fast approaching for this one to get its new shiny coat of many colours ( well one anyway) so with that in mind and considering the paint cost that will shortly make my wallet think its had its nuts squeezed by a female wrestler, I decided to make sure I stood the best possible chance of applying it and went and got myself what many say is "the best" spraygun.
Maybe it is maybe its not but its definitely up there with the very best, the price is testament to that, makes my old little gravity gun look a bit silly, this new ones a work of art.

Made by Sata in germany with the rapid paint prep system so no need to mix up paint in other containers and comes with a strainer in the cap too.
I might just pull this paintjob off.

Bild

Bild

Bild

Still to get, a new air filtration unit, think ill go 3 stage devilbiss, new airline and hi flow fittings also plus a few odds and sods of supplies and probably in the next 3 weeks itll be show time, or stick my head in a bucket and cry time. :)
4v6
GT-intresserad

Inlägg av 4v6 »

Been a busy boy this week.

Its taken way too long to get together what I needed to get to the point where I could get some colour applied, but its finally started today.

I had to buy the necessary supplies to make it happen though and thats been an expensive road to go, although ultimately an extremely satisfying one.

New air hose, tack cloths for waterborne basecoat, air regulator and filter assembly, tapes and paint cups to fit the Sata amongst other bits and pieces.

Bild

Paint is Glasurit 90 line, made by BASF same as oem as far as I understand, although this is a waterborne basecoat which I've never used-until today and wasnt available when the Ur was produced in '83.
5 litres of Glasurit clear laquer, activators, thinners and base adjusters....expensive but in my opinion worth every penny now that I've experienced the system in use.

Bild

Friday afternoon saw some high build primer action on some areas that were bugging me and theyre soon to be worked over ready for some colour.

Red light zone.
Thats an IR heat lamp helping to flash the reducer and set the paint off.

Bild

I'd spent many hours on the scuttle area which was in a poor state paintwise.
I suppose if I'd been a lazy bastard I could have let it alone and left it black but no-way was that going the happen, body colour or sack the whole frigging job.
So with the scuttle prepped it got a healthy dose of glasurit primer and high build.

Bild

I wont bore you with all the minutiae of what I got up today and just let the engine bay photos talk to you.

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Its quite hard to convey how absolutely glassy the clearcoat is on this now, the photos dont do it justice, its quite odd to see it looking like its just come out the gun and it appears wet even though its hardened enough to touch it.
4v6
GT-intresserad

Inlägg av 4v6 »

Short video of some speeded up painting malarky, not entirely complete as I ran out of tape at one point and didnt get the second basecoat on the left inner wheelwell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... CJ0GFrC9sk

So thats where this projects currently at. More soon! :)
Användarvisningsbild
Edis
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Edis »

Really nice to see all your pictures and the hard work you´ve done!! :D *yes*
4v6
GT-intresserad

Inlägg av 4v6 »

Thanks Edis, its taken a long time to get this far with it but with a little luck and few days of stable weather ( no rain or snow etc) i should be done with the rest of the paintwork soon.

Then i can start to put the car back together. *yes*
Användarvisningsbild
Nosliwe
GT-fanatiker

Inlägg av Nosliwe »

That looks realy great and I love that color! Where going to paint my last 2 projects in that color.
Användarvisningsbild
q-sovare
GT-fanatiker
Kontakt:

Inlägg av q-sovare »

Looks great, keep up the good work! *yes*
4v6
GT-intresserad

Inlägg av 4v6 »

Thanks for the supportive comments guys!

I've been a little delayed on this job due to other work needing to be done, like a new front door and frame prepping and painting for the house, but since thats all done now I'm almost free to get the final areas worked and I'm cautiously pencilling in a date of sometime in the coming week (weather allowing) to do the main body paint.
Was out in the garage at 5 am today doing some work to try and get every damned thing done, multitude of stupid little things that are being worked out as if theyre not done now theyll stick out like a sore thumb.

Only way to check for panel straightness that I can think of is to flood the prepped panel with clean water and wait for it to drain down and look for flaws in the dark....so thats what I've been doing, getting it finally ready for the big day.

Hopefully the rest of the panels will be this straight and this was the one I cut out completely so it might all work out yet. ;)

Bild
evil.tweety
GT-fanatiker

Inlägg av evil.tweety »

What a job. very nice to se. Very nice color to. *yes*
Audimannen2
GT-fanatiker

Inlägg av Audimannen2 »

Veery nice job you're doing :D I'm kind of jealous *yes*
4v6
GT-intresserad

Inlägg av 4v6 »

Thanks for the great comments guys!
Still behind schedule though and might take me a while longer to get it finished due to weather conditions and other problems, but an update is still here.

Wednesday saw me out of bed at 4.30am and in the cave by 5.00, finishing off some masking up that I'd started the night before in readiness to get the insides of the doors apertures, the doors, the bootlid, wings, sunroof and bonnet in colour.
Dunno what the neighbours think they probably think I've got a meth lab going.....
Anyways, I spent most all of wednesday spraying and getting sticky ( not in the way you think ;) ) and the results are pretty pleasing I must say.
Its not 100% concours, cant pick any flies out of it but its probably as good as it was when the factory did it and although bits of it didnt go quite to plan I'm quite happy to do a little remedial stuff here and there.
Oddly, on all the vertical surfaces I encountered not a single, run or drag even though the clearcoats went on pretty "wet".
Happy. :)
Only have to spray the outside now.:yikes:

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild